Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Sunday, March 19, 2006

What A Wonderful Weekend ...

Hi There ... We're Baaaack !!

We had the most gorgeous weekend ... let me tell you about it ...

We left home on Thursday morning, around 7.30am, in order to meet our friends at their place at 8.00am. We had an approximately 4 hour drive ahead of us ... not too long, not too short.

The weather was disgusting when we left home ... cloudy, rainy, cold. We were really worried that we would have to put up our tents in the rain ... not the most fun thing to do !!! However, as were continued to drive north, to our ultimate destination of Cobram, on the Murray River (The Murray River, part of which borders Victoria and New South Wales, is one of the longest navigable rivers in the world, stretching 2,700 kilometres from the mountains of the Great Dividing Range in north-eastern Victoria to journey’s end near Adelaide in South Australia), the weather gradually improved, until there was nothing but blue sky and sunshine !!! What a contrast to the weather we left behind !!

We arrived at Cobram, and our campsite on the river bank around lunch time, and then proceeded to assemble our tent, and other items. This didn't take too long, and then we were ready to relax. Aaaahhh, how beautiful ... nothing but a swiftly flowing river, sunshine (hopefully) and fresh air to contend with for the next few days. After we had settled, I phoned my mother at home in Melbourne ... the weather was atrocious, it was cold, and had begun to hail. Gosh, I was glad to be on the Murray !! Here's a photo of our camping set-up ...

We don't usually take the stripy shade house with us (it generally lives up at our caravan at Bonnie Doon, and we use it when we go down to the lake), but thought we might need some extra shade, as the tent doesn't give much shade around the outside. The blue tarp on the left sheltered our camp-kitchen. Not in the photo is also our toilet tent, and portable shower (aren't we fancy ... no roughing it for us !!!). We have the most comfortable mattresses in the tent ... they are self inflating, and feel like you are home in your own bed ... no more of those uncomfortable blow up mattresses for us !!!

We had a lovely dinner of hamburgers (we picked up some fresh bread rolls on the way), and settled in for a good chat around the fire. A reasonably late night for all of us, and a good night's sleep.


On Friday we awoke to more brilliant sunshine. Whoever ordered the weather must have done something right, as we couldn't fault it all weekend !! A relaxing day of sitting, chatting, reading, taking photos, swimming (yes, I even got in the water, but sorry, Greeneyes ... there was no mud ... it was all sandy !!!), and generally doing not much !! The men took the boat out and went fishing ... no luck, though ... don't think the fish were hungry (lucky we weren't, either !!). I got myself a bit of a sun-burn ... silly me, should've put the sunscreen on earlier !!! Chicky spent her days digging in the sand ... she built a whole island / mountain system on the edge of the river ... it was amazing. There were no other kids for her to play with, but she was an absolute angel, didn't whine at all, just had a wonderful time keeping herself busy ... she is the most wonderful child. We had some fun in the water ... it was great !!! Had yummy steak, fried potatoes, and salad for dinner. Chatted around the fire until late, again !


Saturday was a repeat of Friday, only warmer !! More of the same activities. We had a bunch of visitors during the weekend ... thousands of white cockatoos, squawking their way through the day. I have a little video I did on the still camera ... if I can figure out how to upload it, you can have a look (and listen !!) at the noise we had to contend with all day. They only quietened down when it got dark !! Lovely dinner again, nothing special, but everything tastes wonderful in the fresh air !! Spend the evening star gazing ... the Milky Way was really visible, and we spotted eight satellites passing over us. Fascinating stuff ... I love looking at the stars. Can't help wondering if anyone else, on some other planet, is doing exactly the same thing ... looking down at us !!!

The view from our tent site was amazing ... the above photos are just a couple of the many I took !! There was this interesting tree, with half it's roots exposed, directly opposite us. I thought it was incredible that it remained there, and hadn't toppled over. Have a look ...

We started out on Sunday slowly, had breakfast, and began packing up all our stuff !! It was the hottest day yet ... bugger ... shame we had to pack up and go home !! Got moving around 1pm, stopped for fish and chips in Benalla on the way, and arrived home around 5.30pm. The weather at home was OK, not as warm, pretty cloudy, but at least it wasn't raining.

It is now around 10.00pm Sunday night, we are all unpacked, have done some washing, and thought I might share some photos and stuff. I am really, really tired though, so may have to go to bed shortly. It's been a loooooong day !!

Well, that's about it for my story about our weekend ... there's probably heaps I've forgotten to tell you, but I will fill you in further when I remember !! Sorry if I rambled on too much. Hope your weekend was as wonderful as mine !!

Take care,

MEOW

PS. Don't know if you are all watching, or even receiving coverage of, the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. We have missed many of the events over the past few days, but the Aussie medal tally is amazing. What champions !!

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE, OY, OY, OY

38 comments:

Dick said...

It sounds like a wonderful weekend and you posted some nice photos. It sounds like your idea of roughing it is a lot like mine.

Right now I am moving a lot of miles every day so that is the main thing I've been up to. I hope to get well up into the northern California mountains today as the area is currently between storms from the Gulf of Alaska but that means another 450 mile day so I must quit this & get on the road. It is now 8 AM.

Suzy-Q said...

Great pictures Meow!

I really would love to see Australia someday.......sigh.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Scrappy Rose ... don't be jealous, I'd love to come visit where you are, too ... I'm sure it is just as beautiful !!

Dick ... travelling all day is hard work. Please drive carefully. Take care.

Aunt Josefina ... thank you. Do come and visit Australia some day, I'm sure you will like it.

Take care everyone, have a great week, Meow

Anonymous said...

The pictures are just beautiful. I am so happy you had nice weather and you had a safe trip. It looks so wonderful there. I can't imagine looking up in a tree and seeing those amazing birds.

Take care,
Connie

Devil Mood said...

Oh my God...the pictures are amazing :) I'm really really jealous! It doesn't even seem real to me, it's like one of those dream films ;)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Connie ... thank you. I think after a day or two of looking (and hearing) those birds all day, you would be wishing you'd never seen them ... they were so loud, and annoying !!! But, beautiful, nonetheless !!!

Devil Mood ... thank you, too. It wasn't a dream, just a basic camping trip on a beautiful river. It was lovely.

Take care, Meow

Cathy said...

Thank you for telling us about it and posting the photos. It is really fun to read and ses what our friends experience on their trips. Glad that you had nice weather!

Cathy said...

I just heard about the cyclone that hit the northeast; how bad is it?

Darlene Schacht said...

You are so lucky. I'm from the prairies in Canada, and it's so cold. We have waist deep snow in the yards.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Cathy ... thank you. It is fun telling people about my holiday, even though it wasn't particularly exciting, just restful and pleasant !! Sharing is always good !!
Re the cyclone ... it is in Far North Queensland, so we are safe down here in the South. It looks pretty devastating, according to the news reports ... I've heard it likened to Hurricane Katrina, although I don't really know. On the news reports, there has been a fair bit of damage ... don't know if any lives have been lost ... hope not. One of our blogger pals, Michelle, lives up there ... hope she is OK. I know of other bloggers up there, can't think who at the moment, though (Sorry). Terrible, those Cyclones, and other natural disasters. Why do they have to happen ?
Take care, Meow

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi Darlene, thanks for visiting. Wow, waist deep snow ... can't imagine it !! Stay warm, take care, Meow

eyes_only4him said...

wow, looks wonderful there girl..I LOVE camping..looks like beutiful weather as well..

I wanna live where you do..mmaky?

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Bossy Britches ... I'm getting the spare room ready for you !!! When can I pick you up from the airport ???
Take care, Meow

Anonymous said...

It sounds so wonderful. I doubt my family would servive a trip with out like that, but I would like to give it a try. I bet those birds were a great site to see.

Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Wow, what beautiful pictures! So glad you had a great time. I have always wanted to visit Australia, who knows, maybe someday. If you can post the video of the wild cockatoos, I would love to see it. That must be an amazing sight!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

DaybyDay ... I'm sure your family would survive ... we weren't really without anything ... just solid walls !! It'd be fun.

Feathers ... Do you know how to post a video ??? Is it simply a matter of posting it via the picture thingy on blogger ??? Does anyone know ?? The birds were beautiful, just really, really, really noisy !!

Take care, Meow

Patty said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. It is still winter here, but I love to camp during the summer months. Thank you for sharing.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Autumn ... thank you for visiting !! It was a lovely weekend ... well, 4 day weekend, actually !! Couldn't have asked for better weather !
Take care, Meow

madameplushbottom said...

Awesome posting and the pictures rock! I feel like I just went camping and i never even had to leave or apply bug spray repellent. I love it! I am parting with my camping equipment in May. :( I hope I will still get to have some campfires with friends who live in the country. Glad you are doing well. Meg

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Hi Meg ... so wierd ... I was reading your blog as you were posting on mine !!! Sad that you are getting rid of your camping stuff. We are busy adding to ours.
Take care, meow

Anonymous said...

how awesome that you had good weather, and all that fun. i'm jealous, i love to tent camp. but it is important to go with non grumpy people. because setting up and taking down require patience, and niceness. your little family sounds fun and laid back. thanks for all the pictures, that is a wonderful place, and the facts about the river, i did not know that.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Susie ... it was a great weekend, and due to our big trip up north last year, we have the tent-putting-up biz down-pat. We all have our jobs, and do thim without being told. Works for us !! Hope you are well, take care, Meow

megz_mum said...

Hi Meow, thanks for popping by and leaving a comment on my blog. We are all well - the cyclone did not have the expected impact on us, but was just awful for Innisfail.
Your weekend away looks like something altogether different to ours...

Nashe^ said...

hey i love them pics...

and i love kitties to0!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It's nice to hear from you again.
Wonderful views. Glad you have lots of fun

Anonymous said...

Scrapy Rose write it for me: jealous!!!! What a wonderful time!!!!

Kylee said...

Glad you had a great time. You know when we go camping the last day is ALWAYS the hottest day...it never fails. So instead of enjoying the lake all day we are busy packing up just lucky enough to stop off at the lake before headig home.

Hope you have a great week.

Greeneyes said...

Meow
I am so glad you are back safe and sound , I just checked and the post I put here last night didnt stick there is no sign of deleting it but it was there I had trouble 3 attempts but thought I got it ! anyway , I loved the post of the trip, and the pics are wonderful as usual. sounds like you had alot of fun ,wish I could have been there , it is still freezing here! your chicky sounds like a real doll , she didnt complain and piss and moan alot of little ones would , wonderful child :)
You accumulated alot of post while gone, you know your our little social butterfly , It was odd checking and you werent around and no disco kitty everywhere .:0)
love the idea of shower tent and such (FANCY INDEED) nice . and at least you got sand between your toes ha ha, I laughed hard when I read that part , did you get any pics of chickys sand creations ????
love to see the video clip then you can tell all of us newbies how to do it once figured out . well I am hogging your post space and time, glad your safe from that weather and home, take care
greeneyes

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Megz Mum ... glad you are safe and sound. I was worried about all my blog friends up north.

Smitten Kitten ... thanks for visiting, I will be dropping by your blog later.

Friday's Child ... thank you. It was wonderful.

Franc ... thank you and welcome.

Kylee ... why is it that it is always the best weather on the day you pack up. I could never understand that, and have always found it sooooo unfair !!

Greeneyes ... wonder why blogger was misbehaving again !!! Glad you liked the pics, and the shower was great !! I did get a couple of pickies of Chicky's creatings, will post them later !! I'm hoping someone will let me know how to post a video ... I have no idea ... when I figure it out, I will post it !!!

Thanks everyone, hope you all have a great week.

Take care, Meow

Anonymous said...

I WANNA GO CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!
I loved this post!! woohooo...
I cannot wait for Summer :P
Thanks for sharing~

Skye said...

Meow, that is the kind of camping that I so totally enjoy. Great pictures, I hope you can get the cockatoo's up that'd be special. Camping! :)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Tab ... thank you ... hey, next time I'll make room in the tent for you, too !! Hope your Summer gets there quickly. Ours is slowly fading, although we have a few days of 30ºC forecast later this week. Nice ....

Skyblue ... thank you, too. I'm working on the cockatoos ... still can't figure it out. Oh, well, I'll get there !!

Take care, Meow

ange said...

im sooooooo jelous!
i want to go away...
im glad you had a good time.
BTW i still havn't checked out that cat shop. I will eventually.
life is a bit busy ATM

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Ange ... sorry life is so lousy at the moment ... hope it picks up. The cat shop will cheer you up no end !! Have a better day. Take care, Meow

Bar L. said...

It is SOOOOOOOOO beautiful there! What a perfect relaxing weekend. You really caputred it with your photos!

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Barbara ... thanks, it was a wonderful weekend.
Take care, Meow

Michelle said...

Sounds as though you escaped Melbourne at the right time!
Photos look wonderful, i love the Murray on the paddlesteamers :)

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Michelle ... yeah, it seems pretty hectic in town with the Commonwealth Games. Luckily, we don't see any of that here !! I so love the Murray, it is such a beautiful river ... I always think of Sigrid Thornton & John Waters in All The Rivers Run !!!
Take care, Meow