Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Monday, June 28, 2010

Scary Stuff !!

What a day ...

My baby girl (well, not so baby really ... she's 16 years old) passed her test for her Learner's Permit today.  She did really well, and is very excited.  She has been studying really hard, and doing the practice tests offered by Vicroads online.  Wish she studied half as hard for her school exams !!

Anyway, this means she is now allowed to drive with a supervising licenced driver beside her.  She has to total up 120 hours of driving, all logged in a special book, including 10 hours of night time driving, before she is allowed to go for her driving test (once she turns 18).  Then she will have a probationery licence for 3 years, the first of which she must display a red P Plate (red background, white P), and the 2nd and 3rd years she must display a green P plate (green background, white P), the whole 3 years being .00 blood alcohol level ... no drinking and driving !!

She has had a little drive or two in the 4WD, out bush, off the main roads ... Baron took her, and she coped quite well.  She is pretty nervous about driving on real roads, though.  We will probably start on the weekend, in a local industrial estate, when all the factories are closed, and thus the roads are empty ... apparently this is what all the learner drivers do ... road experience, without the traffic experience, yet !!  Both Baron and I drive manuals ... his a big Nissan Patrol 4WD, mine a little Daewoo Lanos ... two very different cars.  The poor kid has no choice but to learn on a manual car ...

We have decided that Baron will take her initially ... he has more patience !!  My dad took me in the beginning, too, as Mum and I would just clashed ... as I imagine Elisabeth and I would, too.

So, this is where we are at right now ... me, a nervous mum, with a teenager who needs to learn to drive.

Wish us luck, people ...

Take care,

7 comments:

Jean-Luc Picard said...

It must be very nervy for the person in the passenger seat!

Puss-in-Boots said...

I cannot believe Elisabeth is already 16, Connie. It just seems like yesterday that you posted about her starting high school.

My youngest granddaughter is 16 and able to get her learner's and guess what? She's not particularly interested. But her mother is insisting upon it so Brooke can eventually drive herself to netball practice. Guess who's gonna win that argument...

Anonymous said...

Hello Honey! OMG.. Lizzie is driving? WOW! Goodluck to her! Tell her to be calm and patient and she will do fine. xox

Unknown said...

There's a certain amount of freedom one experiences when earning a drivers license. My best to Lizzie!!!!:)

Anonymous said...

Ah, they grow up so fast. One minute they are sucking their thumb and learning how to talk, and the next, they're crashing your car...

*wipes sentimental tear from eye*

Sorry, sorry! I jest. I'm sure she won't crash your car - not deliberately, anyway. *grins* - and I'm thrilled that she is facing up to the task of driving with such eager anticipation. Me, myself, I was terrified. I never did get used to it ("not a NATURAL driver" was the charitable comment I got after my first - disasterous - lesson) and it took me ages to learn, and even longer to pass my test (not a natural driving test passer, either). Mum and Nan were my passengers, and ruddy brilliant they were too. My first practice session away from my driving instructer, and with nan sat beside me; I drove my car straight into a hedge.
...Yes, a hedge. No damage, thankfully, and d'you know what nan said? In the gentlest, calmest (and completely serious) voice you can imagine, said "there you are, see? Driving isn't so bad. you're doing very well. Now, can you find reverse..."

I'm rambling, aren't I? Sorry. This isn't about me, it's about your daughter. Give her my (belated) best wishes and my heartiest congratulations about how well she has done so far.

Alice xxx

Merle said...

Dear Connie ~~ I guess by now Elisabeth is driving very well and often. Thank you so much for your
kind comments on Peter's updates
and your encouraging remarks for me.
It is wonderful to be home among my
own surroundings - even that makes me feel better. I am doing my exercises and hope to get back to
walking normmally soon. Have to use a walker for now. Thanks for your commets on my last post, and for your carien and love dear fried. Take care, Much love, Merle.

Anonymous said...

Hi I am Sue from California and I love your rules on driving. Wish we coudl identify the new drivers more easily, and had to be marked for years. LOL
Good ideas to save their young lives.